Adopt a Potter has been running an apprenticeship scheme since 2009, funding one-year placements with master potters and ceramicists thoughout the country. We have funded 18 full-time apprentices to-date. The Trust was founded by Lisa Hammond, who had a tradition of taking apprentices at her studio and still does so and understood the value and benefits for both apprentice and host potter.
Adopt a Potter was founded with a simple ambition – to help ceramic students bridge the skills gap between the completion of their course and the setting up and successful running of their own studio by helping them to develop the necessary practical, technical and business skills.
- to secure the future of studio pottery by funding apprenticeships, enabling students to work alongside master potters and embark on useful career paths.
- to raise funds for up to 3 new apprentices per annum.
- to encourage professional potters to support the scheme.
- to engage with colleges and universities to reach potential apprentices.
Adopt a Potter is a registered UK charity. We rely on your support to make great things happen and without you we would be unable to fund our apprentices each year.
You can help and get involved by:
- making a donation by post
Please post a cheque, made out to ADOPT A POTTER Ltd, to: Lisa Hammond, Maze Hill Pottery, The Old Ticket Office, Woodlands Park Road, Greenwich, London SE 10 9XE. Please also complete the Gift Aid donation form if you are a UK tax payer as it increases your gift by 25%.
- making a donation by Paypal
Please also complete the Gift Aid donation form if you are a UK tax payer as it increases your gift by 25%.
- helping us to raise funds
Each year, the principle source of funding is our attendance at various ceramic fairs and exhibitions, where we hold a tombola and sell mugs made by the Adopt a Potter apprentices. This fundraising relies on the generosity of the professional potters attending the shows to donate a piece of their work, and voluntary help in organising our attendance.
The Trust has also been very fortunate to receive a number of very generous private donations and to benefit from the fund-raising activities of professional potters on our behalf.
If you would like to assist with fundraising, please contact us.
- buying one of our Adopt a Potter aprons or t-shirts for yourself, or as the perfect gift for an aspiring potter, from the Clay College website.
We are very pleased to announce that we have awarded the 2021 aprenticeship grant to Lexie Macleod who will be working with Richard St John Heeley at Hempmill Pottery until February 2022. You can follow Lexie's apprenticeship on her instagram or read about our past apprentices here